Frequently asked questions
Are psychological services covered by extended health benefits?
Most extended health care providers offer full or partial coverage for psychological services. For specific coverage information, it is best to contact your insurance provider.
Do I need a referral?
A referral is not required to receive psychological services.
However, your extended health plan may require a referral from your family physician in order to be reimbursed for psychological services. For specific coverage information, it is best to contact your insurance provider.
How long are appointments?
We use what is referred to as a 'clinical hour' - 50 minutes for direct services and 10 minutes for charting notes, treatment planning, etc.
How do I make an appointment?
Please contact us to schedule a free 15-minute telephone consultation. This will help us determine if Lindsay is the best fit for your needs.
In general, the information that you share with us during your appointment(s) is confidential. Legally and ethically, your records are protected, and no information is disclosed without your expressed written permission.
There are a few exceptions to this rule, some of which are listed below:
1. If a client makes a serious threat to harm themselves or to harm another individual, the law requires us to try to protect you and/or that person. This may involve calling a loved one, 911 emergency services, or the police.
2. If there is suspected child abuse/neglect, or abuse/neglect of an older or vulnerable adult, we are required to report this to the appropriate authorities immediately.
3. For clients involved with the criminal justice system, clinical records could be subpoenaed for court.
The limits of confidentiality will be included in your intake form to be read prior to your first appointment. We will also review the same with you at your initial appointment.
What are the fees for psychological services?
Psychological service fees vary depending on the length and nature of services rendered, and all fees are set in accordance with provincial guidelines suggested for the profession.
Individual Counselling: $200.00 (50 min)
Couples Counselling: $200.00 (50 min)
Fees for psychological services may be tax deductible, if claimed on your income tax as medical expenses.
Payment methods: Payments by cash, EFT, Visa and Mastercard are accepted and clients pay prior to each session.
What if I need immediate help?
We do not provide emergency crisis services or 24/7 support. If you are in crisis, please call 911 or go to the nearest emergency department.
1. Distress Centre Calgary (24-hour crisis phone support) 403-266-HELP (4357)
2. ConnectTeen (24-hour support for teens) 403-264-8336 or text 587-333-2724
3. Community Resource Team (24-hour crisis support for families) 403-266-9699
Do you offer direct billing?
Yes! We provide direct billing to most major insurance companies including Alberta Blue Cross, Canada Life, Green Shield, and Veterans Affairs.
If your insurance company does not allow direct billing services, a receipt will be provided to you for reimbursement purposes.